The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Monday, May 30, 2011

"Behind the Scenes" on my forthcoming anthology!


Putting this new book together is exhausting. I don't have a ghost writer either. I imagine that most people in my position would. But not me. Not Franz!

Let me give you a little 'behind the scenes' on how it works here. I never was really sure either, so I thought you, the Reader, would also like to know.

For all my previous entries, I've almost always used my good old hand held voice recorder. Sometimes I dictate in English, other times in German. One time in Japanese to play a prank of my assistant! At this point I give the recorder to my assistant who then transcribes everything. He or she may also have to translate into English. And then voila! You get to read everything on DearFranz.com.... Sometimes I give my assistant an idea for a picture to include, sometimes I say 'do it yourself.' I think including a picture gives the whole thing a little 'razzle dazzle' and it makes it a little more fun. Today's picture is a picture of the editing team for my upcoming anthology. It was taken with the security camera.

Now there's a team of editors working on the anthology. I imagine they're putting everything into categories, and that's it. But the constant phone calls and questions are getting on my nerves, almost as if they're harassing me. I guess they're just trying to do their jobs, but I imagine that it's a good way of having the opportunity to speak with me. I guess they like that. So in the meantime, before this hits the bestseller lists, I'll just have to oblige the team. The only other thing I have left to do is have my photo taken for the cover. For this, Cindy Sherman has offered to do the job. I'm willing to let her since she just sold one of her 1981 photos for 3.89 million US dollars. Isn't that just wild! Why so much for one old picture? I don't know, but I should be taking more pictures myself if photographers are making that much nowadays. Maybe that'll be my next project.

In the meantime, my phone is ringing again, so I better "get back to work." And this better be quick since because I really, really want to get in the bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment