The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Monday, May 9, 2011

Stop Correcting Me!

Dear Franz,

My girlfriend is always correcting me when we’re out with friends or family. It is EXTREMELY annoying. She corrects my grammar, pronunciation, eating, and even minor facts in stories. I’ve asked her to stop but she says she can’t help herself, it’s just instinct. I told her it can’t be instinct because she only does it to me. She responded that she must correct me because I represent her. Shouldn't she accept me/ let me be myself?

Dear Reader,

No.

Look at it from the other side, please. This is a women who is in a relationship with you despite the fact that you have bad grammar, no manners and can't tell stories right. You should be grateful to her each time a correction is made.

Perhaps she is tired of having to correct you all the time and is considering leaving you for someone educated, well-mannered and who can represent her properly in front of friends and family.

Think of your girlfriend and the sacrifices she is making and make a promise to do something for her! Why don't you hire an etiquette expert for private lessons? Perhaps a child from a family of good standing would like to make some "pocket money" and will be willing to instruct you on basic table manners. As far as your grammar and pronunciation, make sure to hire an elocution instructor.

I assume you must not meet heads of state or crown heads, so keep it simple at first: concentrate on the basics.

Neither your girlfriend or anybody need know about this: in fact, they shouldn't! But after a while, with a little hard work, they'll all see a difference. And after a little while, who knows, maybe there will be wedding bells in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting back to me! I wrote that letter last year and we've broken up since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you how it works:

    I have a stack of papers that my assistant prints out and puts in a basket. It's very very thick. I always just grab one of them and answer. I hope my advices help you and that your relationship has improved!

    ReplyDelete