The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

WHEN IS THE DOG THE SAME AS A BABY??


Dear Franz,

What should be done about someone who insists on referring to a dog as a person/child/baby when it is done without any indication that it’s a joke? This person is fully aware that other people are expecting actual, real children, and don’t like the equivalency the dog person is creating. Grin and bear it, or say, “Please stop equating your dog with this baby”?


I don't like your attitude.

But the answer is this: Yes.

You would think that it would depend on the dog. You would think that not everyone can claim "child status" for their pooch - but if they're anything like my little Lulu, then you wouldn't think twice.

You probably know this, but it bares repeating: Lulu is a direct descendant of King of Tangiers - Queen Margrethe of Denmark's champion miniature poodle. Lulu is the only surviving member of the family, and I haven't decided if I'm going to breed her or not - so yes. She's quite important! More important than many children - so one can definitely call her my baby! I would imagine that she's insured more than most children as well.

Can you imagine if something would happen to her?

I sure can't.

But I admit not everyone has a Lulu. Or access to such lineage.

What about people with mutts? Like from a pound. I would say - yes. Call them whatever you would like. Your babies, children - your poopoowiiwiimiimii...Whatever! They're yours.

People with ugly children still refer to THEIR children as "babies" or "kids." I've seen it plenty of times. I've been introduced to people's children and I've thought, "How on earth do you admit that!?" And they do!!! :).... Me personally, I would say that I'm doing charity work or something! Am I alone in that? (I doubt it.)

So let's celebrate our little babies! Be proud of them! Especially if they're of champion lineage. If not - be just a little more held back.

No comments:

Post a Comment