The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Money Part V



Here is some positive advice that I can give to you all about money. This time I promise I won't go into any of the disturbing aspects - only fun things!

Vacations.

There are many ways to save money and vacation at the same time. The number one way is this: You have friends around the world, take advantage of it!

Chances are that someone you know has a little hideaway somewhere in the world and you just haven't noticed. Ask around, find out. I bet you you'll be surprised at some of what your friends have that you don't know about. Just last week, a friend of mine was surprised to know that I had a vacation spot in Haiti. (The key word is 'had'). We've known each other for twenty years and he had no idea. Actually I didn't either, until I received word that it had been destroyed by the tornado or the earthquake they had there. It had been my father's apparently, a gift from a servant no less. Born in Haiti, this servant, who I kind of remember, as I was told that he was black, was so devoted to my father - that he willed his beach front property that had been in his family for over a century! How moving is that? Apparently there was a problem, however, when my father had to relocate the extended family in order to build "Stefanshorst", the estate that was apparently destroyed. My father was so put off by the "broohaha" that the construction caused, and the "relocation", that he apparently only went there once. I just learned all of this from father's lawyer! Who knew. And anyway, I rarely like to go the Caribbean, due to the humidity.

But the point is, you never have to pay for a vacation rental or whatever. If there's somewhere I want to go in the world - I think first, "Ok - who do I know, that has a place in dot dot dot.....". That is, if I don't have a place there myself. And yes, I have many places hidden around the world - but not in every country! I'm not a sultan!!

Want to go on a cruise? Think to yourself, "Who do I know that sets sail in April", or May - or whatever the month you want. You don't have to rent an entire yacht yourself. And sometime, it can be nice sharing time with friends.

When I think on it, I spend less money when I am being hosted on a vacation, than I do in actual life! When someone is hosting you on vacation - there's nothing you have to take care of!

But always remember that you should reciprocate. That is, if you're not busy away on vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment