The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Today!


Dear Franz,

I'd love to host a dinner party, but I'm not quite sure just who to invite, or what to serve. Can you help?

Dear Reader,

Can I help? Of course! Let me tell you about my last dinner party, which, I'm sure was my best - and I do hate to toot my own horn. 

But take the guest list, for example. Always invite a varied, interesting group of people. That's the most important. Sit an astronaut next to an film star, a politician next to a prize winning activist. Recently my guests included Isabelle Huppert, Joschka Fischer, HRH Frederik André Henrik, and of course, my dear dear friend Björk.  Actually all you have to do is get Isabelle Huppert and Björk in the same room and it's a party. 

At dessert, I'd had an enormous Piece Montée made for just the occasion (highly recommended), and when the servants carried it into the room, complete with sparklers, Björk and Isabelle both let out this scream. The servants nearly dropped the entire croquembouche, and we could not stop laughing! HRH literally blew Kir Royale out of his nose!

So just remember, after they've forgotten details like the Veal Prince Orlaff, it's moments like those that count.  And maybe you don't think that, you too can through such a lavish party? You can. Save your pennies. Go without that new suit for a month or two. Put that new frock, or handbag on hold until you've met your budget. And ladies - it can never hurt to ask for a raise in that allowance (don't tell your husbands I said it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment