The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Barefoot Beefstock


Dear Franz,

Today I was watching "Barefoot Contessa" and she recommended using homemade beef stock. Now, I know you don't usually answer food questions, but I don't know who else to ask. Also, I assume that you must know Ina Garten.

Dear Reader,

Why of course I know Ina! We've been friends off and on for years, and she's been begging me to be on her show, but I just can't do basic cable.

Anyway, I called her just for you, Reader, and here's her recipe:

1 6lb Prime Rib
16 oz White Truffle Butter (clarified)
16 oz Black Truffle Butter (I like the combination of the two)
1 lb carrots, diced
1 lb shallots, diced
1 lb celery
1 teaspoon XO Cognac (recommended: Meukow)
Fleur de Sel (recommended: Le Tresor)
Pepper

Marinate Prime Rib in black truffle butter, Fleur de Sel and pepper for 24 hours. Saute vegetables in clarified white truffle butter. Add Prime Rib. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 6 hours. Add cognac.
Discard Prime Rib remains. Strain and store in quart containers.

How easy is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment