The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY!

Dear Franz,

I just got out of college. I have been job-hunting for months, and was recently given an opportunity even before it was advertised. I was happy with my stroke of luck. It’s a small company that just started recently, so the salary is low and the commute takes a while, but I am excited to see a different aspect of the field I majored in.

Despite my joy, my parents don’t seem too happy about it. They think it’s not relevant or good enough, when it’s actually a great opportunity to learn new skills. I’ve tried to reason with them that the pay will get better in a few months and that I can accomplish many things on the job, but they want me to find a “better” opportunity now. My mom even searched for jobs that I could have applied to instead, which offended me greatly, although I do not want to make the situation worse by telling them that.

I am just tired of the wave of disapprovals from my parents. Whenever I find something I truly want to pursue, they somehow get in the way, and I give up in fear of losing something bigger or making the situation worse.

Is there a way to deal with this complex of mine? I’ve tried communicating my sentiments before, but they always dismiss them as excuses, which is really frustrating. I really think they just need to chill it a bit.



This is an easy question to answer. The problem isn't really that your parents disapprove. It's just that they don't want to hear about it. Sometimes it's hard always having to listen to other people go on about things that interest them. I know that for me it is.

But there's a simple solution to your problem: Stop with these interests and career things. You've probably come into your money by now, so why not live off of that? Use what your family has given you - don't act like it's not good enough and go off trying to make more money elsewhere.

But perhaps they haven't given you your money yet. What then? This is just a control period that your parents or guardians are using. It's their last chance to control what you do and how you receive your money. Indulge them a little bit and let them have their fun. They probably like giving you a little extra now and then - even though they may roll their eyes!

Otherwise, remember to just quit with the career business and the low paying jobs - relax and stop obsessing about it. Be happy with WHO you are, and WHAT you have and remember to just HAVE FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment