The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Friday, October 28, 2011

PUBLIC HOUSING: WHERE ARE THE MANNERS?


Dear Franz,

I live in public housing in an upper Midwestern state. I have been told that vulgar language and obvious drunkenness in my building community room are acceptable because the offenders are just poor people trying to get along. I especially don’t like vulgar language used in the presence of a school-age child. I was told that teachers now tolerate such language.

My past boyfriends have always used the language of gentlemen. A blind date did use four-letter words with relish. I told him to clean up his language or take me home.

I know a lady is limited as to what she can do in public, but what should she do in a social arena with people she lives near?



First question: Are you Blanche from "A Street Car Named Desire?"

Second question: You are aware that you live in public housing? You've just written that to me, and yet - you act like that's a non-issue. You do know that that's not exactly a "good thing" to live in public housing.

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but life in public housing is not exactly like an episode of Good Times. I can say that without ever having entering public housing - or a "project." I would be curious to walk through one one time, just to say that I've done it. It would make great cocktail conversation.

But I think it's common knowledge that public housing is full of vulgar and drunken people - it always has been and always will. And it's not that they're just "poor people trying to get along" it's more that they're just vulgar and drunken.

So instead of complaining about it - you're never going to fix the problem - why don't you apply for a job so that you can earn money to live in a real home? Wouldn't that be nice? That way you can control where you live and what kind of people you'd like to surround yourself with.

It is a shame that vulgarity isn't a crime. That and soooo many other things. But if you can't change things - you can always run away from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment