The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Finally as promised: A Reader's Question...

Dear Franz,
I have a wonderful mother-in-law who raised my wonderful husband. She is an absolute treasure who treats me better than my own mother. She treats my children (her son's step-children) as If they had been her grandchildren all their lives. I would never want to offend or criticize her.

The problem is that she is starting to grow quite a bit of facial hair. I'm certain that she is unaware of the different options that are available for managing this problem that comes with age. Her mother does not appear to have this problem. I've noticed that one of her 2 daughters (both equally as charming as she is) has the same problem and seems to be shaving.

I would never want to embarrass either one of them but would like to find a way to inform them of other options that might be available to them. I was thinking I might invite my sister-in-law, since she lives in the same town as I do, to join me for a "spa afternoon" of facials and pedicures. Surely during the course of the facial, the aesthetician I use will offer her options for facial hair removal. If she is pleased, she will share this information with her mother. What do you think?


Dear Woman,

What if she has no desire to remove it? What if she doesn't go along with your scheme? I think you're very kind to be subtle. But facial hair on woman is no laughing matter. Even if she doesn't feel like it's a problem - we have to look at it.

FBS (Female Beard Syndrome) is a serious, and global problem. It's one that can be fought ONLY if we stand as one against it.

Send her literature from the FBS Global Initiative. Educate her on what we all have to look at. If that doesn't work: Stand her before a mirror and hold her there until she understands. I would think that would work. And when she finally does understand - she can pass that information on to the next "bearded" woman in HER life.

See?

It all starts at home.

P.S. The Donate Your Money Foundation is part of the FBS Initiative. All donations will be received.

No comments:

Post a Comment