The Von Merzenburg Fund for New Initiatives

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Waiters..

Dear Franz,

I am frequently walking down an aisle in a crowded restaurant or on a deck of a cruise ship, when a waiter is approaching carrying a heavy tray of drinks or dishes.

Should I step aside and let them go by, as they are carrying such a heavy load, or should I continue on and have them step aside? Although I am the guest, their task would appear to be much easier if I let them pass.


I had to think about, because I don't know when the last time I've crossed this problem. I would say in New York. It sounds likely. But what to do? I did trip a waiter one time. And that was ONLY because he didn't seem like he was going to let me through, and as one who doesn't like to make a scene, I did what I thought I had to do. I remember this waiter now, and I remember that was another reason to trip him: I didn't like the expression on his face. I remember thinking as I scrambled to avoid flying champagne cocktails, I was doing many people a favor. The idea was so that he would not do that again and hopefully he would tell other waiters not to do that either. So I'm sorry that that happened to you. Do you live in New York? Did you know that in New York and in the rest of the USA - one requires no certificate to be a waiter? Anyone can do it! And these are the people who are responsible for bringing us our food! If I were you, I would ask your congressman or woman if there's anything they can do about. They are your representatives in government and should be there to help you.

When I was living in New York I was more active in petitioning the mayor to arrest people for walking on their left on the sidewalks. I hope this problem had been corrected? I would ask my friend Donatella, who was there last week, but I know she prefers to be carried.

Anyway. I do hope I've helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment